Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Number Fifteen: CFL vs. NFL

During the first half of the CFL, I was watching the sport and I started thinking to myself, 'This is much better than the NFL'. I was under the impression that the actual product on the field was better in the CFL than the NFL. And then the NFL came back, and I realized I was SOOO wrong. I especially realized it when I watched the Monday Night Football game between the Philadephia Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys. Touchdown after touchdown was scored and the final score was an unbelievable 41-37. With 48 of those points in the first half, I could not remember a time I was anywhere near as excited by a CFL game. Then I decided to watch a Saskatchewan Roughriders versus Hamilton Tiger Cats game, and I realized that maybe both sports were equal, because that game was exciting. I think for me, the only thing that makes me like the NFL more than the CFL is the talent level. If you really think about it, had anyone actually heard of Ricky Ray in the NFL? No, and I bet you never knew that he tried to earn an NFL job twice once in 2001 with the 49ers, and again with the Jets in 2004. He never even earned a replacement backup spot (a.k.a. 3rd best QB on the NFL team) and both times he came to the CFL in a starting role. Casey Printers of the Tiger Cats, bet you didn't know he tried out as QB for the worst team in the NFL last year at the QB spot, and he was cut from the roster. The talent level is so great that a TE Teyo Johnson, who had four backups jobs in his NFL career, was signed by the Stampeders and he now leads the CFL in stats for the TE position. Not that I'm saying the CFL sucks, but the NFL has more talent. Today's QOTD: Which league do you like better, the CFL or NFL and why? Next time: Buffalo Bills.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice blog Lucas keep up the good work! Hope every things good and your enjoying school this year. Lots of love, Graeme

Lucas McSports said...

Thanks dude. Are you still at UVic? We should see a basketball game again!

robgod said...

Lucas,

I think you are on, except where you compare the talents in the NFL vs. CFL. You suggested that the fact that Ricky Ray couldn't get a job in the NFL but could excel in the CFL suggests that he wasn't talented enough and the CFL isn't talented enough. THat is not entirely true. The games are sufficiently different that judgng talent, especially at the quaterback position isn't entirely valid. YOu have a wider and longer field, with a much larger end zone (no postage stamp here!) which strongly favours the passing game, but requires a more mobile quarterback. QUartebacks that sit in the pocket and wait for things to develop are not as successful in the CFL. THe wider field means its easier to swing out on runs and passes to the sides, with the lineman forced to run a lot more on pulls and power sweeps. THis generally favours more mobile and frequently smaller lineman. Smaller linemen and the mobility issue mean that smaller quarterbacks can play in the league.

I could keep going on. I still agree that the NFL has a much higher talent level, primarily from a speed and size perspective, but trying to compare the games is not a straightforward process. If it was then Ricky Williams should have dominated rather than being decidely mediocre.

Lucas McSports said...

You make a really good point, that Ricky Ray was talented in a different way then, say, Peyton Manning, because he is mobile and Peyton is a pocket passer. I think the problem with Ricky Williams in the CFL is he had learned for his whole career to follow his blockers and pick up 3 or 4 yards per run, but in the CFL with only 3 downs, you have to gain much more than 3 or 4 yards per run, so I think it is also hard to compare a CFL and NFL running back.