Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Number Twelve: Brett Favre part 2

After all the summer bonanza surrounding Brett Favre, it would be easy to call him either a dedicated veteran or a past his prime old-timer. Lots of people think he is only returning to pad his NFL records so they will be harder to break, and while I think that probably factored into his decision, I think he is still a good football player who deserved to start for Green Bay this year and the team didn't give him a chance. The Jets gave him a chance though, and they traded a conditional draft pick to the Packers for Favre's services. I think he has got enough left in the tank to have a good season, but playing in New York will be an ordeal. If he threw an interception in a preseason game they'd probably boo him out of town, and I'm not sure Favre can handle another city giving up on him. Overall, I think Favre gives the Jets a chance to go 8-8, without him I think they'd go 5-11, but i still don't see Favre and the Jets making the playoffs. I think losing Favre will greatly hurt the Packers chances at making the playoffs, in fact I'm guessing they'll finish 7-9 and miss the playoffs, and therefore I think the Packers made a bad decition to give up on Favre. Today's QOTD: Is it a good idea for the Packers to be thinking about the future and getting rid of Favre, or do you think they should have attempted a Superbowl run by keeping him? Next post: fantasy football.

4 comments:

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew said...

I appreciate your words about Favre but, really, every team has to start over once in a while (just look at the Canucks!) so I think the Packers made a wise move. Now, if only the Flames would do the same instead of hiring old Canuck players, they too would be headed into a more secure playoff position. But then we're not talking about hockey yet, are we.

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

I think Green Bay handled the situation badly. Yes, they were thinking about their future but Favre deserved more from them.

Whether or not the Jets make the playoffs, I think Favre's presence on the team is a good thing for them. If nothing else, it will certainly raise ticket sales.